Saturday, August 12, 2017, at Bryant Park Arlanza neighborhood students were treated to storytelling, tumbling room and bounce house, book, school supply, kindle and backpack giveaway organized by Spanish Town Heritage Foundation and Riverside Ward 6 Councilman Jim Perry. Music was provided by La Vida es Delicosa, Art Alcaraz.
A BIG thank you to….
- Latino Network for donating 11 kindles that are now in the hands of 11 lucky Arlanza neighborhood students.
- Kiwanis Club of Riverside, Riverside Woman’s Club, Katherine Wright, Uptown Kiwanis and Altura Credit Union for their gifts to purchase 300 backpacks for giveaway.
- Riveside Police Officers Association for providing school supplies to fill the backpacks.
- Consulate of Mexico for donating books.
- Riverside Library for providing and manning the Toddler playroom.
- Riverside Parks, Recreation & Community services for the use of Bryant Park facilities and the bounce house.
Councilman Jim Perry welcomed constituents and Assemblymember Sabrina Cervantes greeted the families. Local author Debra Postil Mares read to the children, the Riverside Fire Department provided a hands-on opportunity for the kids to explore a fire engine. The Riverside Library Book Van along with the Riverside County Migrant Education Bookmobile were on hand along with many organizations who provide family resources hosting craft booths for the children to visit.
Each child received a passport to be stamped as they visited each booth. Once the passports were full the children received a backpack and their passports were entered into a drawing for a kindle reader.
Spanish Town Heritage Foundation gave away crayons and our “La Placita” coloring book along with an early educational CD to share our story of the earliest settlement in Riverside and encourage learning through music and singing.
All in all, a wonderful morning full of community building and community support in Arlanza. Thank you to all who participated–sponsors, booth participants, authors, city and county departments, volunteers and especially Diana Medina and Councilman Jim Perry. We look forward to the 3rd annual Books Con Amigos in August 2018!!